What is a Notary isn’t that hard to know. Neither is how to make money as a notary.
This article tells you all you need to know, to help you decide whether you want to be one or not.
It looks at what or who a Notary Public is and what many of the responsibilities are.
It also looks into details at how much money a Notary makes and how you can make money as one.
Not just one way to earn as a Notary Public but several ways that can put much needed extra money in your pockets.
And of course, it looks at whether trying to make money as a Notary is worth it or not.
As you obviously realize, there are many ways to make money. One of them is as a Notary public!
If you are interested in becoming one, you definitely can start making extra money doing just that.
You can work full time in an administrative capacity with a firm, or you can become an independent contractor and work part time at your own schedule.
If you become a notary, there are lots of things you can do to make money.
Most of the steps focus on different ways you can promote your service so that people hire you.
This article highlights many of the ways to make money as a Notary.
But first things first, it is important that we discuss who or what a is and how to become a notary.
What is a Notary?
A notary is simply anyone licensed by the state or government to witness the signing of documents.
A notary is also known as a ‘notary public’.
He/she notarizes documents in public and private.
Look at them as impartial witnesses in carrying out different types of official fraud-prevention activities related to important documents signing.
So, yes, a Notary helps to prevent fraud.
A notary also helps to maintain proper records of legal documents.
These types of legal documents can be about loans, land deeds, car deeds, marriages, mortgage loans and many different types of contracts.
What Does A Notary Do?
If you become a notary you will be responsible for:
- Witnessing the signing of legal documents.
- Verifying the authenticity of the signatures of the people signing a document.
- Ensuring that that those signing a document know exactly what they are signing and why they are signing.
The documents include loan applications, contracts, deeds, etc.
Where To Get A Notary?
If you are looking for a notary, you can get a notary near you in nearly every major town in city. Some of the places to find one include:
- Some banks and credit unions near you
- Most police stations near you
- Many public libraries near you
- Some organizations you belong to, such as military, schools, AAA members, etc)
- Your local city hall or even court offices near you
- Some insurance agents near you
- Some car dealerships near you
- Some realtors near you
And of course, you can simply use a directory to find one nearest to you.
You can also just search the Internet for “notary + your location” to find one nearest to you.
Many of them list their phone numbers to be able to call them to find where or how to reach them.
How To Become A Notary Public?
In the USA, the National Notary Association regulates how individuals in various states can become a notary.
The general guidelines for most states are highlighted as follows:
- You must be 18 years and a legal resident in the state you want to become a notary.
- You must have a clean criminal record.
- You must first fill and mail an application form to the state’s office you want to operate from.
- In some states, you must complete a training course before you can be certified. Nine states require training and these are: California, Colorado, Florida, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, North Carolina, Oregon, and Pennsylvania.
- The training courses can cost your $100 to $200.
- Most states don’t require an exam to be certified. However, states like California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Louisiana, Maine, Nebraska, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, and Utah, demand that you pass a test.
- You will need to purchase a surety bond in some states. The surety bond is like insurance against errors you make in the course of operation. Depending on the state, the cost of a surety bond is between $50 and $100.
- You may need to pass a background check and have your fingerprints taken by some states.
How Much Does A Notary Make?
However, depending on the states you are operating from and the type of tasks you do, you can earn up to $22 per hour as a Notary.
How Much Does A Mobile Notary Make?
You are free to charge your own travel fees in some states if you are a ‘mobile notary”.
As a mobile notary, you travel to places to notarize documents.
This allows you to charge a lot more.
How To Make Money As A Notary
Here are the different ways a notary can make extra money.
1. Be a Notary Signing Agent
You can be a notary signing agent and get certified to sign loan documents.
Loan signing is usually done by certified notaries and you can earn around $50 for any first or second mortgage loans you have signed.
However, in some states, there are limitations or restrictions on the conduct of loan signings.
With the provisions of the National Notary Association you can become a certified notary agent.
2. Become A Mobile Notary
You can make more money as notary if you don’t restrict yourself to a specific location.
In other words, you will become a “mobile notary”.
You can travel with your notary kit to meet clients in different locations.
Because of your travel expenses (with or without your car) you can charge additional fees that range from $20 to $75.
In this case, you will get to earn more because apart from your standard notary fee, you are also paid for the inconveniences associated with your travel.
3. Transcribe Depositions and Affidavits
Depositions are often conducted by attorneys and they help speed up court trials.
This is different from online medical transcription jobs but you can transcribe and notarize court documents for a fee.
A good example is when you transcribe and sign depositions and affidavits provided by witnesses before the case goes to court.
Your signature as a notary helps maintain the integrity of the legal process.
So, consider this option if you want to make money as a notary public.
4. Be A Field Inspector
You can make extra money as a notary by becoming a field inspector.
In this case, you can be paid extra for surveying properties that are associated with the notarization you want to provide.
The types of properties that can be surveyed include residential, commercial, or undeveloped property.
You will be paid for providing measurements and descriptions of these properties. You will also be paid for verifying business addresses.
Generally, you can earn between $18 and $40 for a typical inspection and verification that takes 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Officiate At Weddings
You can be paid to officiate weddings in some states.
As a notary, you’re witnessing and signings at weddings are legal.
You can conduct the filling of the wedding documents and also officiate at the actual wedding.
In addition, you are also entitled to file the appropriate vital records after the wedding ceremony.
A notary will officiate weddings for a fee.
Some states like Florida, Maine, Nevada and South Carolina authorize you to officiate weddings.
There are states that will require you possess a special wedding permit.
You can be paid from $5 to $75 for officiating at weddings. What you earn will depend on the state.
That’s not exactly free money but it’s still easy money, since you spend very little time and still get paid 🙂
Also See: Data Entry Jobs To Do From Home… and genuine companies that really pay!
6. Diversify Your Signing Services
Of course, some signings like mortgage loan signings will bring in more money but you must not turn down jobs that don’t pay well.
It is better your signature is seen on all kinds of documents including loan consolidation, debt restructuring, personal contracts, and so on.
The more diverse the signings you accept as a notary, the more money you are going to make.
7. Maintaining Proper Records
A notary can be paid to maintain proper records of legal documents.
These include documents about loans, car deeds, land deeds, marriages, mortgage loans and some other contracts.
You will earn fees when you conclude any of these on behalf of clients.
What you earn depends on how much you charge for each document!
8. Notarize Digital Documents
You can opt to make money as a notary public by notarizing electronic documents.
With special web applications and online platforms like NOTARIZE, you will easily start notarizing electronics or digital documents.
In this process, you can video chat with clients to verify their identity before signing.
You can do this from the comfort of your home!
The state of Virginia allows notaries to sign digital documents for clients.
So, this is an option you should consider if you live and work as a notary in the “Old Dominion State”.
Nevertheless, even if your clients are not from Virginia, you can still make money by notarizing electronics documents for them while you are living in this state.
9. Be Available On Weekends and Holidays
Wondering how to make money on weekends?
One of the ways is to become a notary!
You can make money as a notary by working weekends and holidays.
The idea here is simple, you will be helping notarize documents for individuals and business during weekends since most of them urgently need notary services and their regular notary could be off duty.
Take advantage of weekends and holidays to make extra money as a notary!
10. Constantly Remind Clients That You Are Available
If you have clients you have already notarized documents for in the past, it would be a good idea to remind them of your availability.
You should constantly remind them that you are still available if they need any documents to sign, field inspections to make, someone to officiate their weddings, or any responsibilities that a notary can perform.
Although this may seem like a bother, it helps to keep your name in the mind of the client whenever such tasks comes up.
Other Jobs That Also Pay Very Well
Whether you decide to go for this job or not, there are other jobs that pay very well. Below are articles right here on this Kingged.com website on such jobs, if you are interested:
- Front Desk Jobs That Pay Very Well (Some Pay $20+ Per Hour)
- Computer Jobs That Pay Very Well (Some Pay $150,000+ Per Year)
- Online Tutoring Jobs That Pay Very Well (Some Pay Thousands Weekly)
- Childcare Jobs That Pay Very Well (Some Pay Thousands Weekly)
- Night Jobs That Pay Pretty Well (Some Can Be Done Easily By Anyone)
- Jobs For Introverts That Pay Well (Many Can Easily Be Done From Home)
- Factory Jobs That Pay Very Well (Some Pay $50+ Hourly & $100,000+ Yearly)
- Closed Captioning Jobs from Home (and the Best Companies That Really Pay)
- Work From Home Nursing Jobs (and Genuine Sites That Find You Paying Jobs)
- Jobs That Require Travel & Companies That Find You Such Paying Jobs
- Food Taster Jobs and Some Genuine Companies That Actually Pay
- Virtual Counselor Jobs and Best Places to Find the Right Jobs That Pay Well
- Online Data Entry Jobs and Genuine Companies That Really Pay
Lastly, apart from how to make money as a Notary Public or in addition to doing that, it’s good to know that you can still earn some extra money on the Internet from just filling out simple surveys.
Filling out surveys online is easy and can be done by anyone. They also don’t require any particular type of experience and there are really genuine survey companies that really pay.
One of such genuine companies that really pay is SurveyJunkie.
This company is so reputable that they have successfully paid millions of dollars to everyday people. And yes, if you get involved they will even pay you straight to your Paypal account just for completing online surveys.
Click here to sign up with SurveyJunkie and start earning from this, whether you are an Instagram influencer or not.
Found This Article Helpful? Please Share It!