This article reveals exactly how to become a virtual counselor. It also shows you the best places to find the right virtual counselor jobs, especially those that pay very well.
First things first, how do you know if this job is for you?
If you like to advise and help people overcome their physical, mental, or emotional problems, then you can make a job out of this, as a virtual counselor.
A counselor is someone who gives advice and solves problems for others.
He or she could be a professional who provides physical, mental or emotional therapy on a specified issue to clients.
Counseling jobs can be done from an office or a physical location. Clients may call into the office to receive legal, academic, or emotional advice.
One of the most preferred methods of counseling these days is “virtual counseling”… all thanks to the Internet.
A virtual counselor practices his or her trade online or from a virtual location where there is an Internet connection.
If you like the idea of becoming a virtual counselor then the rest of this article will be revealing. You will get insights on what it takes to become a virtual counselor.
In addition, you will get to know of important details on the best places to find a virtual counseling job that really pays really well.
Who is a Virtual Counselor?
A virtual counselor is an individual trained to give advice to people or clients. He or she utilizes online tools to give advice or mental health therapy.
So, instead of using an office, clinic, hospital, or care facility, to provide counseling sessions, the virtual counselor simply works from a remote location or from home to provide online counseling sessions to patients all over the world.
Yes, it’s one of the best online jobs to consider, if you are qualified for this.
Why Do People Choose Virtual Counseling?
People may choose to engage the services of a virtual counselor for a number of reasons. These may include:
- They are home-bound and cannot move from their homes.
- It is suitable for people in an abusive relationship who want to receive therapy without their partners knowing.
- They don’t have a vehicle to convey them to the counselor or therapist’s office.
- They are too shy to make a face-to-face appointment.
- They prefer expressing their problems through writing rather than verbally discussing such with a stranger.
- Clients who want shorter sessions.
- Clients don’t have to cancel if they get sick.
What Does a Virtual Counselor Do?
The job of a virtual counselor is similar to that of offline counselor you meet in an office, clinic or hospital. The only difference between them is the place of operation.
A virtual counselor has the responsibility to provide remote support for patients or clients in a specialized field like legal guidance, parenting, relationships, workplace stress, academic advice, emotional well-being, individual crisis, etc.
He or she helps clients to deal with a variety of physical, mental, and emotional needs.
What Are the Types of Virtual Counselor Jobs?
There are many types of virtual counselor jobs. Here are some examples you may want to check out.
- Addiction Counselors
- Domestic Violence Counselors
- Grief Counselors
- Relationship Counselors
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Mental Health Counselors
- Rehabilitation Counselors
- Spiritual Counselors
How Does a Virtual Counselor Carry Out His Duty?
A virtual counselor uses a webcam, online portal, or phone to provide counseling guidance to clients.
He or she can use one or more of the following platforms to connect and communicate with clients:
Related: How To Make Money Chatting… and Companies That Really Pay!
What Are the Qualifications Needed to Become One?
Virtual counselors are expected to be trained, certified, and licensed. What they do relates to safe health, so there no need to compromise on training or qualification.
Virtual counselors are also mostly independent contractors who can work on their own schedule. However, they must have the necessary qualification depending on the specific area of counseling.
Most counselors are expected to have 3000 hours of clinical experience. They must have at least a Master’s degree in a specified field of study.
For instance, they may be required to have a Masters in counseling psychology, clinical psychology, clinical counseling, or educational psychology.
Finally, counselors must pass a state-issued exam and complete continuing education every year.
How Much Does a Virtual Counselor Earn?
How much a virtual counselor earns depend on the number of counseling completed. The more clients he/she attends to, the more money he or she is likely to make.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for substance abuse, behavioral disorder, and mental health counselors was $44,630 as of May 2018.
This means that virtual counselors earn around $21.46 per hour.
Best Places to Find Virtual Counselor Jobs That Pay Well
Online job sites like Zip Recruiter, FlexJobs, Monster jobs, Glassdoor, Indeed, etc., are common places to find the very best well paid virtual counselor jobs.
There are still other e-counseling or e-therapy platforms you should check out to find counselor jobs. The following are some of the most popular ones you can explore:
BetterHelp is a website that provides counseling needs for individuals, couples, and teens. It is the world’s largest e-counseling platform.
Its head office is located in the heart of Silicon Valley, California, USA.
If you can provide counseling or therapy support to clients from an online location then you can sign up with BetterHelp.
BetterHelp requires virtual counselors to meet the following requirements:
- You must be licensed by a state board to provide counseling (e.g., LCSW, LMFT, LPC, PsyD or similar credentials).
- You must have experience in individual counseling of adults.
- You must have excellent writing skills.
- You must reliable internet connection.
- You must a US resident.
BetterHelp does not accept substance abuse counselors, school counselors, registered nurses, career counselors, Christian counselors and business coaches (unless they have additional license as mental health counselors).
In addition, if you are an intern who requires supervision to work, you cannot work with BetterHelp.
BetterHelp is one of the best places to work and get paid well. The platform can be your major source of income or a supplement to your current work.
Other benefits include:
- You can choose how many people you want to work with.
- You get to choose when and where you work from
- You don’t worry about acquiring clients, billing, support or operations. BetterHelp handles all of these.
Also See: Jobs That Involve Using The Computer.
Talkspace is another well known online platform which provides clients with online therapy or virtual counseling.
The mission of this platform is to provide more people with convenient access to licensed therapists who can help those in need to live a happier and healthier life.
If you have the right training and license to work as Talkspace therapist, you can join the over 5000+ other independent, vetted and trained specialists with more than 3000 hours clinical experience to work as a virtual counselor.
Talkspace therapists are licensed and have MS, LPC, LMHC, LICSW, RMHCI, PsyD, and Ph.D. licenses and qualifications.
According to Talkspace, the requirements to become a virtual counselor or therapists include:
- The highest clinical license in your state of residence, allowing the independent clinical practice. Talkspace practitioner only works with clients in the state(s) where they are licensed and allowed to practice independently.
- Minimum of 3 years of direct clinical experience.
- Professional malpractice liability insurance policy.
- Submission of a fully completed signed CAQH application.
- Individual NPI number.
- iOS device (iPhone 5S, iPad Air/iPad Mini 2 (or newer)) with video camera.
- Reliable internet connection.
The advantage of working with Talkspace as a virtual counselor includes:
- You earn reliable income online doing this on your free time.
- You can at your own schedule and enjoy flexible work hours.
- You can receive continued training through the Talkspace University.
Online-Therapy is a dedicated online-based team of consultant therapists, cognitive-behavioral therapists, practitioners and support staff that collaboratively work to help people in need of emotional support.
If you have the qualification to provide emotional help and support to people in need, then you can work with Online-therapy as a virtual counselor.
You will provide regular online video, audio, chat and text sessions to clients.
You can register as a virtual counselor or therapist and start making good money.
Online-Therapy demands that counselors or therapists meet the following requirements:
- MA, MS, MSW, PsyD or D. in counseling, social work, clinical psychology or related mental health areas is needed for all counselors.
- US therapists need to be licensed by a state board to provide counseling (LCSW, LMFT, LPC, PsyD or similar).
- UK therapists need to be fully accredited with the BABCP in the United Kingdom.
- Counselors or therapists must have no disciplinary actions in the past 10 years.
- Interns or those who require supervision are not allowed
Also See: Travel Related Jobs That Pay Very Well.
Regain is an online relationship counseling platform. It provides professional counseling to those who are facing one form of relationship issue or another.
Regain makes professional counseling available anytime, anywhere, through a computer, tablet or smartphone.
You can work with Regain as a virtual counselor if you are licensed, trained, experienced, and accredited. Specifically, below are the types of people who can work with them:
- Psychologists (PhD / PsyD)
- Licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFT)
- Licensed clinical social workers (LCSW)
- Licensed professional counselors (LPC or LPCC), etc.
You must also have a Master’s Degree or a Doctoral Degree in the related field.
TeenCounseling.com is an online platform where teens between the ages of 13 and 20 can get help from counselors or therapists.
The counselors discuss and provide solutions to bullying, anger, depression, self-esteem, eating disorders, coping skills, anxiety, stress, or any mental challenges affecting the teens.
TeenCounseling.com gives you the opportunity to work as a virtual counselor for teenagers. You will work online as an independent contractor and also work directly with clients.
Theravive is another platform where a network of therapists and psychologists get committed to helping people receive the best of mental health care.
This platform also works in communities to raise mental health awareness, lower stigma and provide the necessary health education to people.
Theravive was founded in 2006. It has been serving as a network of independent counselors and clinics who work in North America and are providing the best mental health care for clients.
You can sign up with Theravive if you are looking for where to provide virtual counseling and get paid well.
As you have seen from reading this article, one can a virtual counselor and there are genuine companies that pay very well.