If you want to know whether to go with Uber or Lyft, then you should read this article.
It reveals a lot about both these ride-sharing companies and why you should pick which for making money driving.
One of the ways of making money today is becoming a driver of any on-demand taxi or ridesharing services around.
Uber and Lyft are the two most dominant companies in this industry.
If you are interested in becoming a driver for Uber or Lyft, then you have to choose which platform will serve you better.
Also, if you are interested in either Uber or Lyft as a passenger then you still have to compare their features to know which of them will serve you best.
Uber and Lyft have similar functions and features. Nevertheless, each of them has some unique features which make them stand out.
You can compare Uber and Lyft to know the better option.
So, this article is a quick comparison of Uber and Lyft. You will get to know their similarities and differences. You will also know why to pick any of them.
Uber is the most popular ridesharing platform that offers on-demand taxi services.
It was founded in 2009 and has seen grown to be the most sought-after ridesharing or ride-hailing service.
This platform has an app that allows drivers to sign up with their vehicles to move passengers around.
Passengers who are interested in cab or taxi can also signup through this app.
Once they make an order for an Uber cab, the company will direct the nearest Uber driver to them.
Uber has international coverage as it has more almost 4 million drivers across 63 countries.
On monthly basis, it would interest you to know that Uber has more than 90 million active users.
How Uber works
Uber is an app that runs on both an Android operating system and an iOS system.
So, if you have an Android device or an iOS device, you can download and install this app for free.
If you are a passenger, here how Uber will work for you.
- Go to the Google Play Store or App Store to download and install this app on your smartphone or mobile device.
- After installation, you will discover that the app is user-friendly. You will see a map of your current location and a box that says “where to?”
- Type in your destination to find a ride now or schedule one later.
- Next, you can choose from any of the ride options as indicated in the app.
Related: How To Make Money With Your Car.
The ride options available with Uber
With Uber, you can take advantage of different ride options. These include:
This is the least expensive and popular ride option for passengers.
This option is a private ride that allows the drivers to pick one to four passengers in the vehicle.
This is a private ride option that offers a newer, midsize car with extra legroom.
This is a ride option for a group of six riders.
This is a ride option and a private ride in a premium car with a professional driver.
This is option offers passengers with ride service whereby they can share a car with drivers heading to the same area.
Scooter and Bike Rentals
These are rental services in some cities. Passengers can rent bikes and scooters for a ride within the cities.
You can take advantage of any of the above-listed Uber ride options.
Also, to make more money, check out Uber Rewards – This is a reward program whereby Uber offers you points for your Uber rides and UberEATS food orders.
Once you have enough points you can use them towards your future Uber rides.
Lyft is a ridesharing and ride-hailing platform.
It was launched in 2012 and has become the second-largest known on-demand taxi service after Uber.
This company offers services that include vehicles for hire, motorized scooters, a bicycle-sharing system, and food delivery.
Lyft operates within the US and Canada. The company is based in San Francisco, California, and operates in 644 cities in the United States and 12 cities in Canada.
How Lyft Works
If you are a passenger and want to make use of the Lyft app, then you should follow these steps:
- Download and install the Lyft app on your phone. It is available on the Google Play Store for Android users, and on the App Stores for iOS users.
- Open the app and you will see a map of your current location. Also, you will notice a box that says “Where are you going?”
- Type your destination to find a ride now or to schedule one for the future.
- You can choose from any of the ride options as indicated in the app.
Ride Options available on Lyft:
The following are features of the ride options you can choose from Lyft.
This is the most popular and least expensive private ride for one to four people in a basic car.
This is a ride option for a group of up to six riders in a vehicle.
This is a ride in which the passenger can choose a premium car with a top driver and extra legroom.
This option allows you to ride with drivers heading in the same direction for a lower price.
Bike and Scooter rentals
Lyft offers car rental, bike, and scooter rentals services in some cities.
Similarities Between Uber and Lyft for both drivers and passengers
Uber and Lyft – Similarity features for drivers:
- Uber and Lyft drivers can work when they want – Drivers can log into the app whenever they are ready and available to drive, picking up riders of their choice.
- Uber and Lyft allow drivers to calculate prices using a base rate, miles traveled, time of day, and the type of vehicle requested.
- Uber and Lyft help drivers to boost their pay – These apps allow riders to add a tip at the end of their ride. With more tips, drivers earn more.
- Uber and Lyft provide drivers with the opportunities to earn multiples of their usual fare. This is based on the rider demand called “Surge Pricing” or “Prime Time”.
- Uber and Lyft offer drivers the option of buying or renting vehicles – to drive with Uber or Lyft, can rent a car if you don’t own one to make money.
Uber versus Lyft – Similarity features For Passengers
- Both Uber and Lyft are app-based – Passengers can use them to request a ride, pay drivers, and schedule trips from their phones.
- These apps can be downloaded to your Android and iOS devices.
- Both services are available 24/7. – Uber and Lyft offer round-the-clock customer service to passengers.
- If you have questions, complaints, or concerns about Uber or Lyft service then you can check out the customer service section of these platforms.
- Uber and Lyft offer various vehicle options – Both of these platforms offer various vehicle service options.
- Passengers can choose from the one they like depending on their size, taste, and money.
- They ride on the costly luxury vehicle, or they can go for the cheapest options which include a pool with drivers heading in the same direction.
- Uber and Lyft offer estimated pricing before scheduling – Passengers can easily access various pricing plans before choosing or scheduling a ride.
- Apart from ridesharing services, passengers of these platforms can also take advantage of the food delivery services that Uber and Lyft offer in certain markets.
Features that Differentiate Uber and Lyft
Coverage and Size
Uber has international coverage and operates in more than 63 countries.
Also, the company operates globally in 700 cities around the world.
Lyft operates only in the United States and Canada.
This platform has over 30 million riders and 2 million drivers
Uber is five times the size of Lyft. It is not surprising since it has
If you want to join Uber then you can join from any of the more than 63 countries that the platform operates.
Lyft only accepts memberships from people who are residing in the United States or Canada.
Should You Pick Uber or Lyft?
Uber and Lyft have similar features and functions. However, if I would pick, I will choose Uber.
It has a wider coverage and offers different features that meet the needs of a different class of people.
Both drivers and passengers of this platform enjoy specific rewards when they use the service more.
As for Lyft, if I would choose this platform, it would because it is best for frequent riders.
Other Interesting Articles To Consider:
- Best Freelance Sites like Upwork
- How to Make Money on Twitch
- How To Earn Money on Snapchat
- Shipt Vs Instacart for Delivering Groceries
- Family Banking and Getting Started
- How to Get Paid To Refer People
- How to Get Paid To Learn Code
- What To Do When You Need a Job
- Secrets to Success With a Small Business
- How to Be a Successful Businessman
As this article has shown, Uber and Lyft are two dominant platforms for ridesharing. They have some features in common.
Each also has features that make them stand out.
If you are interested in choosing any of these as a passenger or driver, then you should utilize the information shared in this article.
You can make better decisions if you implement the tips shared here.