Yes, you can make money cat sitting and this article tells you all about it.
In particular, it tells you many of the genuine programs and websites out there that really help you get paid for cat sitting.
In the United States alone, more than 38.9 million U.S. households own a cat according to Pet Sitter International (PSI).
This is a huge figure and it clearly shows that Americans and many people around the world are great cat lovers.
It also implies that the cat sitting industry is growing as cat-sitting services make up a large part of pet-sitting businesses.
Yes, this is fast becoming one of the business ideas for women and even men, especially those who love pets.
Many who have started are making good money as cat sitters and you too can be one of them.
The rest of this article tells how you can make money doing this and the genuine programs that really pay.
What Is Cat Sitting?
Cat sitting is simply the act of temporarily caring for a cat in its home while the owner is away. It is a form of pet sitting that involves the caring of one’s beloved feline creature – the cat.
Related: How To Make Money Cat Boarding (and programs that really pay!)
Why Cat Sitting?
Why not, right?
Just as there are dog lovers, there are also many who love their cats and will do everything to care for their physical and emotional well-being.
Including have someone take care of them when they are not around.
True cat lovers spare no expense to ensure that their beloved kitties receive the best attention and care possible.
If a cat owner must go away or be separated with their pets for longer than necessary, then it becomes necessary to make provision for their care during the absence
The circumstances that may separate a cat from its owners include:
- When the owner goes on a vacation.
- When the owner travels for business.
- When the owner works longer hours than normal.
- When the owner is too sick or injured to care for the cat.
In any of these circumstances, the duties of a cat sitter come in. The sitter will provide the needed pet care in the home of the cat.
The advantages of cat sitting include the following:
- The cat is happier and experiences less stress in its home and familiar environment.
- The cat is provided with routine and uninterrupted diet.
- The cat is provided with routine and uninterrupted exercise.
- The cat is saved from the trauma of not having the owner around.
- The cat has less chance of contracting an illness.
Unlike online jobs, those doing cat sitting jobs may extend their services beyond the cat’s home. They can take the animal to their own homes for special care if the need arises.
Here are specifically what cat sitters can be expected to do:
- They can feed their cats and change their water bowls.
- They can clean litter boxes and clean up any other cat messes.
- They can administer pet medications if needed.
- They can provide exercise and play time for the cat.
- They can provide lots of tender loving care to the animal.
Whether the cat sitter visits the cat’s home to provide the needed care or uses his own home to care for the cat, the above-listed duties may apply.
Also See: Work From Home Nursing Jobs (if you have some nursing experience)
How to Make Money as a Cat Sitter
There are several ways you can make money cat sitting for other people.
Whether it is doing this as a favor or help for friends or as a business, you can make money either way.
1. Cat Sitting for Your Friends and Neighbors or Become a Hobby Cat Sitter
It is possible you love cats and have one as a pet, then you will take care of this animal and provide it with the love and care it needs.
If by any means your actions attract the attention of a neighbor or a friend who owns a cat then you can start making money.
Your friends or neighbor may invite you to provide care for their animals when they are away. You will be paid for your time and effort.
And if you are one of the millions (or even billions) of people who really love pets and even find spending time with them a hobby, this can certainly be one of the hobbies that make money for you.
How much you earn from a hobby cat sitting in your friend’s or neighbor’s house is negotiable. You can check out what cat sitters charge in your area or city to set your own price.
On average, you can charge a friend $5 to $10 a day for taking care of the cat. Yes, that’s not much but it can come handy when you need 10 dollars fast.
If you want to earn much more than that per day, you can.
There are many genuine websites now that match cat owners with people who can provide care for cats free.
Keep reading and you will find the genuine websites that really help you find these sitting jobs.
You can also check them out if you relish the idea of becoming a hobby cat sitter.
Also See: How Anyone Can Sell Their Feet Pictures… and other Weird Ways of Making Money.
2. As a Professional Cat Sitter
One of the most important traits you must have as a cat sitter is to be passionate about cats. You can become a professional cat sitter if you have passion and love for cats!
As a professional, you can certainly go all out to make a living or a career out of cat sitting.
Once you meet the requirements you can operate in a professional capacity or run your own pet care business.
Even though you can find such jobs online, you certainly can’t work online from home and get paid. You will have to physically visit the location of the client to take care of their pets in their homes.
The basic steps to start your own cat-sitting business include:
- Check out the local laws in your area concerning the setting up of local business.
- If you are in the United States, the Small Business Administration (SBA) provides useful details on the local requirement to set up a business anywhere in the country.
- You should check out SBA for useful resources to set up a cat sitter business anywhere in the USA.
- You should take steps to get insured and bonded. A professional pet sitter needs an insurance cover against damages and accidents associated with pet. Insurance and bonds also cover against cat overdoses on medication, body injuries or dislocations.
- You should obviously advertise your business after you have received a license or become certified from the right certification body.
- You can create a website, print fliers and list your services on sites like Craigslist.
Also See: Food Taster Jobs (many of them pay you just to eat food!)
Certification Bodies for Professional Pet Sitters
In the United States of America, there are professional bodies for pet sitters you can sign up with to become a professional cat sitter.
One of such bodies is the Pet Sitters International (PSI).
This body was established in 1994. It is the world’s largest educational association for professional pet sitters, representing more than 6,000 independent professional pet-sitting businesses in the United States, Canada and abroad.
You can become a member of PSI and explore all the possibility of operating an exciting pet-sitting business.
Cat sitting for genuine cat lovers is really one of the best jobs for stay at home moms – you do what you love and still get paid!
PSI will provide you with the knowledge and resources you need to start and run your pet care or cat-care business. You can get a pet sitting certification from this association.
The National Association of Professional Pet Sitters is another industry organization that trains and certifies members.
As a professional cat sitter, you can charge $15 to $20 per day for one cat, with an additional $5 or so for each additional cat.
Do the math if you have to take of 5 or 10 more cats and you will see how possible it is to make a lot daily. Even if you don’t make 200 dollars in one day, you can certainly make 100 dollars or more!
Cat Sitting Programs and Websites That Really Pay
There are many cat sitting programs out there. These are websites where individuals are offered opportunities to provide cat care or pet care services. The programs that really pay include:
Sittercity is a website that provides care services across the United States.
The site started in 2011 and has grown tremendously in serving more than 7 million users in cities across the USA.
Sittercity’s care services cover nannies, sitters, senior care, and pet sitters. You can make money as a cat sitter across the United States through Sittercity.
The website connects pet sitters like cat sitters to the animal owners who want the best care for their cats.
You can charge the best fees for your services based on the location and industry standard.
This is definitely one of the very good self employment ideas you can get started with, especially if you love cats.
On average, you can receive between $15 and $25 per hour if you are employed by pet owners via Sittercity.
This can be really easy money for real cat lovers.
The cat sitting rates are comparable to what baby sitters or nannies earn on the site.
You must have passion and impressive cat training skills if you want pet owners in Sittercity to employ you.
A background check is important for those who work in Sittercity.
Also See: Get Paid To Watch Movies… and programs that really pay.
Rover.com is another genuine and reputable website that provides pet sitting and dog walking services.
The site has been around since 2011. It is an online market place where pet sitters are connected to pet owners.
Rover makes it easy and promotes you to the nation’s largest network of pet parents.
If you are a cat sitter and want to make money as such, then you should sign up with Rover.com. Sitters working with this website gets more bookings and receive faster responses.
There is the flexibility of time and earnings for the cat, dog and other pet sitters that utilize this site.
Yes, it also helps people find the right dog walking jobs as well as cat sitting.
The key features of Rover.com that should appeal to you as a cat sitter are:
- You can set your own schedules and prices
- You can set size, age, and other pet preferences that work for you.
- You can manage your cat sitting service with the Rover app
- You can offer any combination of pet care services
- You will get 24/7 customer and vet assistance support.
You should know that cat or pet sitters on Rover.com earn up to $1,000 in a month.
If you are new to Rover as a cat sitter, the website highlights the following:
- “All new sitters pass a basic background check
- All sitters provide a detailed profile and personal information
- All sitters are approved by our team of sitter specialists”
Care.com is another popular and reputable platform that connects caregivers with families that need them.
It prides itself as the world’s largest online destination for care.
According to Wikipedia, the site has 22 million members across 19 countries, and attracts 6.4 million unique visitors a month, with a new job posted every 30 seconds.
If you love to care for cats as a hobby or as a professional, then you should sign up with care.com.
On this site, families employ dog sitters, cat sitters, and other pet sitters to look after their animals by drop-in or in full housesitting.
Care.com is a membership site and it allows you to set your own rate and when you want to work.
You can definitely use this and other sites to make money on weekends.
Other important features of this site include:
- It helps companies to find high-quality caregiving
- It ensures background checks are done
- It makes provision for pet care insurance
- It allows for feedback from parents on a pet sitter’s performance, personality, character, etc.
You set your own rate when you use this website.
4. Fetch! Pet Care
Fetch! Pet Care is another well-known and genuine company that provides pet care services to animal owners.
Cat lovers can make money feeding and caring for pet cats for the owners.
This company offers a wide range of pet care services that include pet sitting, dog walking, overnight care, and specialty service.
Pet sitters perform various jobs including pet visits, dog walks, cat playtime, puppy care, feeding and transporting pets.
Some locations also offer to board at the sitter’s home and overnight care at the client’s home.
If you need money now, you can make money as a cat sitter with this platform by simply signing up and getting started.
The reasons you should work as a cat sitter or as a Fetch! Pet Care provider are:
- You will have fun playing and caring for cats and providing their owners with peace of mind.
- You can work at your schedule and enjoy flexibility with your time.
- You will get the support of the Fetch! Pet Care team who can help you book appointments and get insurance coverage.
- You will earn good money as you provide good care for owners.
Of course your exact income will vary and depend on the pet sitting assignments you choose to accept and perform.
It can even be good way to make money as a kid, if you have kids that love cats.
It is easy to apply for a cat sitter position with Fetch! Pet Care. Take the following steps as highlighted on the website to apply:
- Enter your zip code to find the Fetch! Pet Care office nearest you.
- Fill out an online application and a local owner will get back to you soon!
- Meet the local owner and team to see if it’s a good fit and get started.
As you can see from this article, cat sitting pays well, especially if you are passionate about taking care of cats for the owners.
We have also provided details on how to make money as a cat sitter and exact programs that really pay.
You can get started right away by checking some of these programs out and even signing up to start cat sitting for money.