The reality of marketing be it online or offline is always about the numbers. 90% of marketers don’t know a thing about statistics or downplay them to their own detriment. I’m here to give you a wake up! call.
If you don’t follow the numbers it makes your venture a hobby, not a business. There is no need to get obsessive about numbers but you need to know at the very least the averages of your efforts in order to develop a proper plan.
One of the most frequently mis-understood areas is Email Marketing.
The current open rate on emails is 10%, so only 100 of your 1,000 subscribers are opening your emails. The average clickthrough rate is 6% which means only 6 out of the 100 even click your link. Out of the 6 that click through only 2 to 5% convert, which means your list of 1000 technically yields 3 conversions.
So more subscribers equals more profit and better emails equal more subscribers. But, please don’t forget the most important Stat, the deliverability rate, after all it has to make it to the inbox first.
Blogging is another area where numbers are often disregarded.
97% of blogs fail, 98% of those who fail delete or abandoned their blogs within months of starting and the other 2% ignored the numbers. A blogger must at minimum “Know Their Traffic Sources” and most don’t even bother to use Google Analytics, the best tool for the job. That’s just lazy.
As a Blogger if you don’t know where your traffic is coming from you’re just writing articles for yourself. The rest of us are trying to reach our fan base to make our Blogs about them an we need to know where they are.
With that in mind, I bet you didn’t know that only 15% of bloggers post to their blogs more than once a week and the top earners are the ones that post daily. Didn’t you know that 61% of U.S. consumers have made purchases recommended from blog post. Know your numbers!
Even if you’re an Affiliate Marketer knowing the numbers will mean you feast more than you famine. It also gives you the advantage over most affiliates. With all successful affiliate marketers it’s all about the numbers. No relationship building, no see ya later, just yeah or nay. That’s why they undergo famine because they forgot that 98% of affiliates fail following that same model.
If you want to eat all year get that email and provide some value. The number one thing all affiliate marketers should be tracking is where their sales come from and I mean every single link. If you’re not, it’s just a hobby.
These are just a few examples of the numbers game there are plenty across many verticles. They all have fundamental rules they must follow to achieve positive results and all these rules are determined by the Numbers.
IT’s A NumBers GaMe…… Play it!
So, do you agree that It’s A Numbers Game In Marketing?