Every company has ideas that come up (sometimes frequently). And, based on the stage of the startup and the degree to which the idea is unconventional, there are always good, rational reasons why the given idea can’t possibly work. There are also bad, irrational reasons too. The problem is, it’s hard to tell the difference.
Here are some of common reasons why something won’t work:
1) We’ve debated this several times before and have decided it wouldn’t work.
2) We’ve tried this before, it didn’t work.
3) Doesn’t really fit our sales model.
4) It’s not appropriate for our industry.
5) It might work for tiny/small/large/huge companies, but we sell to tiny/small/large/huge companies, and it won’t work for them.
6) Our investors/board would never agree to it.